Saturday, April 4, 2009

Dumb Warnings for Geomag


Television news pieces like this completely astound me.



Geomag is one of my personal favorite toys.  I have a thing for Lego and other types of modular building toys.  But Geomag is much higher on my list of favorites than Lego.

After Benjamin was born, I think I got them out maybe once or perhaps twice.  I didn't introduce them to him when I got them out.  I got them for me to enjoy (adults "enjoy," children "play").  They are mine.  I would never allow any child who is still anywhere near the "oral" phase to even see them.

To me, it's obvious that these toys should never be given to small children to play with.  Not even under strict supervision.  Because if you have these toys and you let your three-year-old play with them, you had better put them under lock and key when you're done.  Otherwise, kids will seek them out like an AFT agent on Ted Kasinski.

If you need an additional warning about these toys, then you probably also need instructions on the heel of a boot explaining how to extract water from it.  Needing additional warnings puts it beyond stupid.

In fact, ubiquitous compulsory warnings make things worse.  If you rely on everything having the proper labels and warnings, when new-yet-obvious hazards come along, you will fail to use your own brain.

Posted via email from Anthony Martin's Weblog

No comments: