Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Oath Issue


When the oath was flubbed, I wasn't concerned. Now Obama has taken the oath again. There's nothing magical about the prescribed wording. But there's something to be said for taking the Constitution seriously.
 
So if Obama had not taken the oath a second time, it would not have been a big thing to me. The gesture is not a big deal by itself.
 
But if this leads to a trend of ongoing respect for the Rule of Law, then that's something. I guess I have very low expectations and I'm willing to start small. Very very small.
 
Sent from my iPhone

Posted via email from Anthony Martin's Weblog

2 comments:

AskMieke said...

So what do you think about his eligibility on the grounds of dual citizenship?

Anthony said...

I think it's horrible for a sitting president to have dual citizenship, if that's what happened. I wasn't following his eligibility in that regard because I think he already disqualifies himself for other reasons. I know the "titles of nobility" argument has been dismissed outright by most everyone, but I think it's more glaring. If our government actually respects the Constitution, our government would look drastically different.

If they won't stay in the little box we've constructed for them, it's our error and our responsibility. But instead, they have completely run amok, and few people care.