Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Lapdog CDA Law

I just think it's interesting that one of the ads in the bus I regularly take is a complete lie.  I guess "truth in advertising" doesn't apply to government and corrupt lapdog corporations.  The ad reads:

Healthy Kids Need Healthy Teeth

The law requires that kindergartners
receive a dental checkup

La ley ahora requiere que los kindergartners
reciban un examen dental

To learn more call 800.CDA.SMILE or visit cda.org.

A MESSAGE FROM THE CALIFORNIA DENTAL ASSOCIATION

Only, the law does not require any such thing.  It is a falsehood to imply that the law requires dental checkups for two reasons:
  1. The state has no jurisdiction to make any such law.
  2. The state law itself allows a waver.
I hate to go beyond #1 because it is so important.  The state has no jurisdiction in the mouth of our children.  We parents are responsible.  The notion that some parents have decided to forgo dental examinations for their children has no bearing on how I go about caring for my children.

They are free to take care of their children in their way, thus, I am free to take care of my children my way.  This is what's called "freedom."

But #2 is also important.  The law, as I read it, says that parents may opt out of the requirement.  Which means saying "the law requires" is inaccurate, in this ad.  The law requires either an examination or a statement by the parent to the contrary.  What's interesting is that a parent who makes a statement to the contrary is reading the law.  Are these parent likely to avoid dental checkups for their child?

So this is where I get angry.  Advertisements like this are simply taxpayer funded attempts by state lobbyists to drum up business.  I hate that!

Posted via email from Anthony Martin's Weblog

No comments: