Saturday, January 31, 2009

How To ICE


There is already a lot out there about ICE.  Snopes has an article.  Even Benjamin's school talks about it.  If you're not aware of what it is, in a nut shell, ICE stands for "In Case of Emergency."  It is supposed to manifest as an address book entry in your mobile phone.  I think there are many ways to do it, but this is how I do it on my iPhone:

  1. Create a new address book entry with the Company Name of: ICE
  2. Add spouse's phone number followed by a hash (#).
  3. Add home phone number followed by a hash (#).
  4. Add work phone number followed by a hash (#).
  5. Add own mobile number followed by a hash (#).
  6. Add mother's mobile number followed by a hash (#).

I use the custom label feature of iPhone rather than leave each entry labeled as "other" or whatever the default is.  I am emphasizing the hash (#) for a reason.  If you do not have a hash at the end, likely your phone will match incoming calls to the ICE entry, which is a pain.  I would rather see my wife's name and photo show on the screen when she calls, not just "ICE."  In the unlikely even a first responder has to look over your address book, he or she will likely not be confused by the hash.  So it's the best of both worlds.  Anyway, that's my only alteration to the instructions other than the reason I have my own mobile number listed in my ICE entry is just in case my phone is involved by I am not.  If that happens, I can check my messages and find out what's going on.  Anyway, I hope that helps.  Enjoy.

Posted via email from Anthony Martin's Weblog

No comments: