Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Glocks and CCW and PTSD, Oh My!

I was at the local gun shop today just looking around.  The guy behind the counter was answering a few questions then just announced that he was out of all personal defense items.  I guess there were enough people asking the same question at the same time, he felt necessary to tell everyone there.

Then, one of the customers decided to say, "Except for that Glock, but who would want it?"  He was referring to the item in the case.

Nobody said anything, but we all looked at each-other.  Then I heard someone softly say, "Speak for yourself."

Along the same subject, I asked a veteran I ran into if he was still eligible for Concealed Carry Weapons permit.  Out here, you have to give a "legitimate need" on the application, but supposedly it's not a huge hurdle.  What I was wondering about was his mental status.  He was all to happy to announce to everyone that he was having trouble finding a job, having just come back from Iraq.  He said you can't really put his experience on a resumé, what with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and all.  So that's why I asked about CCW.  I wouldn't normally just come out and ask, but his mental status was being discussed openly.  Supposedly, here in California, PTSD is not yet a reason to stop CCW issue ... yet.  Just give 'em time.

I also asked him what he thought of the stop loss going on in the military.  He said it was pretty much a non-issue.  Some call it a backdoor draft here in the States, but he said everybody in the military knows it's just part of the contract.  In other words, if you only signed up for 3 years, but a stoploss is invoked, your stay is extended another 5 years and you knew that when you enlisted.  So these people who are upset about stoploss are really saying they didn't read their contract.

Well, I'm glad I asked.

Posted via email from Anthony Martin's Weblog

No comments: