Wednesday, March 25, 2009

$1,000,000 Idea 001: USB Encryption Pass-Through Adapter


Ok, here's my $1,000,000 idea, no. 001:

USB Encryption "Pass-Through" Adapter

There are several USB encryption solutions out there.  Some are better than others.  But what I'd rather see is an encryption "pass-through" for generic USB drives.  That way, I can use any drive I want.  On one side, I connect it to the computer.  On the other side, I connect it to the drive.  Is it a cable?  Ok, that'll work.  Is it just an adapter?  That'll work too.  Bottom line, I don't want the encryption system in the drive, only encrypted data because after a few months or years, the drive will be too small or it'll break.  I also don't want to install any software.  Once I separate the drive from the pass-through, I'm done.  It should be at least 256-AES encryption.  Additional protection like a password or biometric can be embedded into the pass-through itself.  Also, it might be good to have a reset for dumping the current key (thus rendering the pass-through as useless for the drive).  But all of it should be inside the unit so no additional software is needed.

There you go.  Now go make $1,000,000 off my idea.

Enjoy.

Posted via email from Anthony Martin's Weblog

No comments: