Sunday, May 17, 2009

Don't Give Up On Mozy

I've been using Mozy to perform backups on my home system.  Basically, Mozy is an online backup solution.  It's rather inexpensive compared to certain solutions and more expensive than others.

One of the problems I've had is that Mozy never seems to ever complete the backup.  According to the log the longest attempt was a try for 3 hours, and in that attempt, the software only got half way through my total backup.  It seems to give up after 11 tries or so.  Each subsequent attempt would get only so far then report failure.

I was thinking of giving up on it since after a month, it never completed a backup.  But I also noticed that the log claimed to have files on the server, with the message "Already on server."  In other words, my client would report a file to upload, but the server would claim it already had the file, which is good.  So it appears that previous failed attempts did actually result in files being backed up.

But how many files have been backed up?  That's the thing, I don't know from the client.  But the server says there are massive files on its side.  I'd estimate about 65% or 70% of the files I've been trying to upload have actually reached the server.  And that's a sliding average because I have a lot of large video files that I back up locally and remove.  So it might actually have all of my files.

Bottom line is that over a month's worth of use, a large number of files have reached the Mozy server, so I'm going to stick with Mozy for now.  I'm not happy with the client, but it appears to move in the direction I want.  I think the client could certainly improve, but I'm willing to work with it.

Posted via email from Anthony Martin's Weblog

No comments: