Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Fahrenheit Scale


Question Digested: 1425

Previously, on my old blog, I kept track of my The Internet Oracle questions/answers.  Mostly, I only posted the ones that got digested.  My earliest writings on The Internet Oracle go back to 1998 when it was still called The Usenet Oracle.  So I thought I'd restart the practice on my new blog.

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply.  Your question was:

Oh great and powerful Oracle...

We here in America generally use the Fahrenheit scale to measure temperature.  Why is the normal human body temperature 98.6 degrees? Since we humans invented Fahrenheit, why didn't we originally calibrate the scale so that normal human body temperature was 100 degrees?  Might this have something to do with global warming?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:

Fahrenheit actually is calibrated to the temperature of the human body.  The imperial system was just conceived in a fever dream.

You owe the Oracle two wet towels and a pint of cough syrup.

Posted by email from Anthony Martin's Weblog (posterous)

No comments: