Thursday, January 7, 2010

My Fitbit

I got myself a new pedometer recently.  It's called Fitbit.  It is wireless (Bluetooth) and uses a solid state accelerometer like those found in the iPhone and Wiimote.  It's the geekiest pedometer there ever was.

All the data is collected and sent to their server, which is kind-of a drawback in my opinion.  But there is no monthly fee for hosting the data and doing this allows their service to run on almost any platform.  The data is collected wirelessly by the base unit.  Bluetooth seems to be locked to the base unit only so there is currently no way to use the Bluetooth locally, but a ROM upgrade (or hack) will fix that.

But it works as advertised.  It collects data all day and even when I'm sleeping and will calculate how long it took to fall asleep and how many times I awoke.

You can tell it when you start an activity.  Below is the data it collected for a walk I took today.  The last picture is from another service called InstaMapper (via iPhone GPS).  The two together can give me a very accurate record of how much walking I have done.

Posted via email from Anthony Martin's Weblog

No comments: